On Wednesday 12th February at 1.30pm, the West Cornwall Hospital will be hosting a friendly and informal support meeting for carers and family members that provide care for people who have a diagnosis of dementia.
The Supporting Ahead Programme (SAP) provides a comfortable setting where individuals can meet with the Royal Cornwall Hospitals’ Admiral Nurse in a relaxed and caring environment. It has been developed specifically to support carers and family members of people with a dementia diagnosis during their stay in an acute setting but is open to carers in the community too.
Caroline Ellis, Admiral Nurse for the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, explains:
“We hold sessions to bring services together in one place and to help support your journey. During the session you will have an opportunity to talk to relevant professionals and agencies in a group setting. We can also arrange one-to-one sessions on request.”
The programme aims to provide support and advice with the following:
- Continuity of care and support for people with dementia and their family during hospital admissions
- Good quality information, education and awareness of provision of services in the local community
- An opportunity for carers of patients with dementia to engage in social interaction, which helps to enhance independence and quality of life for both people with dementia and their carers
- Information regarding current dementia research and how patients and/or carers can get involved
- ‘Peer support’ to carers:
- Providing practical and emotional support
- Reducing social isolation
- Promoting self-help
- A holistic referral access point to relevant services for you.
Guest speakers will be invited to attend and present at future sessions. These speakers will include patients, carers and professionals.
“We hope that you find the session useful”, Caroline concludes. “We welcome any and all feedback and suggestions for future meetings. I’m open to any questions and feedback-forms will be provided at the end of the session.”
The next session will take place on Wednesday 12th February, 13:30 – 15:00, in the seminar room at West Cornwall Hospital.
For more information please contact: Caroline Ellis, Admiral Nurse, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, Truro. Tel: 01872 254550 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.