Helping us to get better
Launching April 2021
The Patient Leader Programme, a joint initiative between Cornwall Foundation Trust, the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust and the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, will put the voice of our citizens – patients, carers and families – at the heart of everything we do in line with our vision of ‘Delivering high quality care’.
By 2022 volunteer patient representatives will be actively involved in the planning and review of health services and research within CFT, RCHT and UPHT.
The programme will be launched in April 2021 across health and social care services and to the population of Cornwall with a recruitment campaign to look for volunteers who are interested in working with us to design and review services and improve patient care.
- We are looking for people with an interest in and commitment to improving NHS services.
- We are looking for people with personal qualities rather than specific qualifications.
- The role is voluntary. Full training in the required skills will be given as well as ongoing support. Out-of-pocket expenses will be paid.
- The role offers people the chance to build their confidence and gain work experience, learn new skills and make a real difference to the quality and effectiveness of local health services.
- April 2021: Recruitment of volunteer patient leaders through an application form and informal interview.
- May/June 2021: Training through a series of online workshops to enable patient leaders to understand the workings of local and national NHS organisations and to learn the skills to help them to work collaboratively with NHS staff to identify problems and to apply creative solutions.
- July 2021: Implementation of the programme
The programme will be managed by the Patient Experience Team at CFT. Managers across the Trusts will be able to request the input of a patient leader to their work-streams and specific projects as well as to staff recruitment.
For further information or to express an interest in becoming a patient leader please contact:
Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust’s:
PALS and Patient Experience Team
Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust