What is Pathology?
There are 19 different specialities under the umbrella of Pathology, including:
- Clinical biochemistry
- Medical microbiology
- Transfusion medicine
- And many more…
Did you know…
- Around 95% of clinical pathways rely on patients having access to pathology services.
- 14 tests for each person in England and Wales are performed annually.
- 300,000 tests are performed every working day, that’s around 1 billion tests per year
- These tests cost around £2.2 billion a year
Our staff are amazing, all the time, across many staff groups:
- Medical laboratory support workers
- Medical laboratory assistants
- Secretarial and administrative
- Associate practitioners
- Anatomical pathology technicians
- Biomedical scientists
- Clinical scientists
- Clinical fellows
- Consultant pathologists
Pathology has also been involved in looking after the environment. Historically, Pathology has employed a single containment system for submitted bloods from primary care by use of plastic bags. Over the course of a year almost 780,000 specimen bags are sent to the Blood Sciences laboratories which is more than enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool!