The Cornwall GP Training Programme attracts doctors who want to combine excellence in their practice with a fantastic lifestyle in one of the best places to live in the UK. Cornwall has a strong tradition of high standards in Primary Care and is a wonderful place to live and to learn.
We aim to provide the best possible training for a career in General Practice. Trainees report high levels of satisfaction with our training scheme and the quality of the educational experience we provide is reflected in the feedback we get, and in our trainees’ exam results.
Key components of our three year training scheme
- Eighteen months as a GP registrar in one or more of our excellent training practices. This is divided into a six month post in either ST1 or ST2 and a full year in ST3.
- Eighteen months of secondary care posts with a very wide range of hospital specialties represented and educational supervision provided from primary care.
- We have one placement that varies from this with 12 months in hospital specialities in ST1 and the whole of ST2 and ST3 in General Practice.
- Our planned educational programme allows you to meet regularly with your own year group to share and expand your knowledge and skills. Embedded within this are regular small groups for peer support and educational discussion.
- Support from the Health Education South West with opportunities to meet with trainees from the whole of Devon and Cornwall.
- The opportunity to apply for a scheme with a Global Health Fellowship year between ST2 and ST3.
As well as excellent education and training in General Practice there is also the opportunity to achieve great work-life balance by living in a beautiful area of the country with bountiful opportunities for leisure pursuits.
For more information on the ‘Cornwall GP Training Programme’ click on the Peninsula Deanery Primary Care link below.
GP Training programme – planned educational programme
Peninsula Deanery Primary Care
Resources for Cornwall GPs