This page was last updated: December 21st, 2021
On Wheal Vor Ward, we look after patients who are medically optimised to leave the hospital but who are unable to because they are awaiting packages of care or care home assessment. The majority will be elderly, living with frailty.
The integrated nurse and therapy teams on Wheal Vor Ward work with patients and their families to maximise patients’ independence and autonomy, and regularly review their ongoing care plans and discharge requirements. Patients from Wheal Vor Ward are transferred to the Discharge Lounge on the day of their departure from the hospital.
Wheal Vor Ward is also a Training Centre for Health Care Support Workers. We bring into the organisation people who are new to working in care and provide them with roles in a co-ordinated and structured way. These new recruits are supervised by the core care team and undertake a six-week ‘Introduction to Care’ course. This leads to a National Care Certificate on completion and opportunities to work elsewhere within our Trust or across the NHS system
Visiting Wheal Vor Ward
Visiting times are by prior arrangement, in accordance with the Trust’s updated Covid Visitors’ policy. Visiting someone in hospital – latest arrangements
You will need to provide evidence of a negative PCR or lateral flow test every time you visit the ward. You can contact the ward by calling 01872 25 2191.
Top Tips when visiting
- Please introduce yourself and tell us who you are visiting
- You will be asked to complete a disclaimer form and have your temperature taken. You will also be required to wash your hands and don the appropriate PPE before the start of your visit
- Feel free to help out at mealtimes
- Do not disturb clinical staff during medicine rounds
- When asked to leave a bay or room, please respect our request
- When you leave the ward following your visit, you will need to remove your PPE, dispose of it properly, and then wash your hands.
Directions to Wheal Vor Ward
Wheal Vor Ward is located on the first floor of the new Tremenel Unit, between Tower Block and the Princess Alexandra Wing.(Note: access is via the Ground Floor).
Wheal Vor Ward is accessed via the GROUND FLOOR of Tower Block, close to the Eye Unit. When you enter the Tower Block, follow signs to the Eye Unit and then for Wheal Vor Ward. Walk through the short link corridor into the Tremenel Unit and then up the stairs or take the lift to the first floor.
Find out more about coming to the Royal Cornwall Hospital.